Friday, April 17, 2009

all night security

Here we go again.

Everyone's in bed.
I can't sleep.
Because I'm working nights this month.
And I can't sleep at night when I'm off from work.

So I'll be security tonight.
On watch.
For monsters.
For criminals.

Going to find something quiet to do.

Maybe I'll pay some bills at the kitchen table.
Don't have many.
Paid most of them last night.

Maybe I'll watch some movies.
Mostly just the ends of movies.
Finish one, flip the channel.
This one looks good.
But it's halfway through.
Watch it, flip. Watch it, flip.

I'm not with society right now.
12 hours behind everyone.

The cats are in their place.
Rex on the couch.
Thor on the red chair.
Rex is snoring loudly.
Just like last night.

Maybe I'll get on the computer.
To do a search.
I have to find some stuff.
To finish the raised garden tomorrow.
For my wife.

Maybe I'll be lost in thought.
About productive daylight.
Or knowing my kids.
Or watching them grow.
Or giving Sue a hand.
With her daily job.

It's a grind.
This all night security gig.
The hours are long.
The hours are lonely.
The hours are hard.

It is my job.
And I love it.




2 comments:

Janet said...

Beautiful word picture. I hope someone is keeping guard over you as you keep guard of your loved ones.

Jen said...

"I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep." (KJV John 10:11)

Blessings to you while you're cherishing and protecting your precious flock.