Thursday, January 14, 2010

i'm gonna burn

While leaving the supermarket yesterday I witnessed something both sad and I apologize for even thinking this, funny. Sad on two counts, actually, because the subject of my entertainment involved a super-elderly woman in a crowded parking lot and sad again because I was so enthralled with the scene I unknowingly stepped off the curb and temporarily hurt my ankle. All's better now but karma slaps you in the face once in a while.

It went down like this:

So I come out of the store and hear a HONK (car horn). I think nothing of it and I continue on my way. Another loud HONK! Ok, somebody's trying to get my attention. I look around for the source of these HONKS and don't see anyone I know. Continue off again. HONK HONK HONKETY HONK HONK! I'm getting annoyed now so I look again and it's all right in front of me. A 90 year old woman is trying to open the passenger side door of a car and she's in a daze cursing to herself. The thing is, it's not her car. I came to this conclusion by witnessing the elderly gentleman (probably husband) sitting in the car on her backside (I'm talkin' right next to her) desperately laying on his horn, cursing and carrying on, trying to get her attention. The cars were different colors so I can understand his anger or worry.

Please note, I don't think it was funny because an elderly woman lost her bearing. I did think it was funny, with guilt, that everytime the guy laid on the horn she jumped 3 inches off the ground but didn't realize where she was until the twelfth HONK. All the guy really had to do was open his window and say wrong car sweetie or are you ok? Instead, we had an elderly couple literally four feet apart, separated by metal and glass, one HONKING and one jumping but both violently cursing each other.

I hope my readers can forgive me for deriving any sort of entertainment from this episode.

No comments: