Sunday, January 10, 2010

are the holidays over? wow!

It's a new year. Everyone's healthy and happy. Croup trips to the ER have been noticeably absent as opposed to previous years. My check writing for anything medical is next to zero. This isn't an attempt to jinx our good fortune but a nod and overdue credit to the karma gods for keeping the fevers, runny noses and misery away. Also, big props to Sue for washing the boys hands every 5 minutes.

At work, we had our annual state of the union address where we find out our wage increase and what our discretionary bonus might be. Before we were told this eagerly awaited information, they painted a grim picture of the present and future of our trade and there is going to be more changes and deletions to the workforce, especially on the "management" side. We were assured that we (the laborers) were safe because they need us to make the machines run . This is standard operating procedure when you have a roomful of blue collars that might up rise against the well-paid white collars. I learned four things at this meeting: No wage increase and no bonus and the realization that I'm not going to retire from the place I've been working for the past 19 plus years, and ultimately, that I need to plan for what I'm going to do next when the axe does fall. Realistically I can live without the bonus. As long as the evil white collars aren't getting one. I have my suspicions. The world is getting much clearer these past few years.

We as a family are working on ways to give ourselves the wage increase my employer failed to give us. Those of you that know me know there are some things I can change and am working to do so. Anyhow, the challenge is there and we can do it. Who says you can't buy next years xmas presents at a summer yard sale? Sue is a master at saving money at the supermarket. Candle light and turning our backyard into a farm are other options. Hell, I'll sell my car and pedal around on my bike. I don't need to go anywhere. The changes may be so drastic you might question what year it is when you visit our home. Is it 2010 or 1820? Eric doesn't need a job yet but if anyone's hiring after he turns six this year he might have to quit school. The possibilities are endless!

Of course I'm kidding. Keeping it light is my M-O. I wish everyone a Happy New Year 2010. Lets work together to embrace the possibilities of a new year, for better or worse.

No comments: