Saturday, June 20, 2009

it was popular - lets try it again

I watched Gran Torino on Thursday night and for awhile I struggled with the ending. What the eff and why? were a couple of my thoughts when the end credits rolled. I guess Clint made a statement in his last acting role that Dirty Harry, this time, didn't need a 44 to take a bunch of thugs down and out of the picture to protect the public. Atonement for his past comes to mind also. Atonement for the Korean War, his family and his bigoted nature. I enjoyed this movie. If you have any thoughts about this film, let's hear them.

Then I watched the new Incredible Hulk with Edward Norton and it turned out to be a mistake to dwarf all mistakes. Somehow I gagged down 99% of this crap until Ironman walked into the bar at the end and talked of some super alliance with a full-haired William Hurt. I don't remember what happened next but Sue says I immediately kicked in the television and was struck with 120 volts of gamma electricity at which point I turned green and grew 9 feet tall at which point I ran out front and started swinging the Taurus like a lasso until Sue informed me I was naked and a certain part of me hadn't hulked up like the rest.

For the record, I liked Ironman.

Thanks for all the comments, reviews and recommendations on my prior post. Keep them coming.

6 comments:

Jai Herman said...

Stellar idea with the movie reviews. I try to watch as many as I can. Oh and don't Heather and I must be the last people on Earth to see Slumdog Millionaire.

Right now Gran Torino is one of my top 5 movies. I think the ending was perfect. We all thought we knew what was going to happen. He knew he was going to die soon anyway, What he did made up for all of his life mistakes.

1. He helped out an Asian family, even though he led a life of bigotry.

2. He sacrificed himself for his "new family" because he was never close to his real family.

3. He took out the enemy with out using a gun like he did in Korea.

Nat said...

Don't watch Departed, then :)))

Seriously, I thought the ending was good. Not the usual happy ending thing, but still happy ending in a way. We thought it was one of those good old films with lots of funny moments, until the girl gets home. At the end of the day, it is his fault it happened, isn't it? he is going to die, he doesn't want to end it on a bed with people looking after him, and he needs to right a few wrongs.

I liked Hulk. We watched it in the cinema, and everyone was up and goign when the Iron man came in, and Oh boy, how stupid. I guess it's their way to keep doors open for making more movies in the future. I hear a lot of comics lovers were relaly exited about the ending.
We liked Iron man too! It was really funny though how they kept showing Gwyneth paltrow in killer heels, and then a close up to Robert Downey Jr who seemed to be taller than her :)))

Did you ever watch "Fracture"? it's not a new movie, but a great one .

Jph76r said...

Very good points about Gran Torino. I, too, thought the ending was great. I was just temporarily blindsided by the way he chose to go out and had to sort it all out for myself. I am a fan of movies that don't have a happy ending. But this movie had one. The kid got the very car he tried to steal from the bigoted old man. The kid also got the war medal the bigot received for killing men and kids just like him.

Nat, not sure about your reference of The Departed.

I liked Fracture. Anthony Hopkins is the man in anything he does.

Anonymous said...

That was really funny, Joe!

Highlandgal said...

Iron Man was awesome. I've steered clear of both versions of the Hulk. Sounds like a good decision on my part. So even Edward Norton couldn't save it, eh?

Jph76r said...

Alas, even the great Ed Norton couldn't save this movie. Primal Fear and Larry Flynt are 2 of his movies that I enjoyed.