Sunday, June 14, 2009

exercising my write to thumb it

I used to consider myself a movie guy. Lately, I'm having trouble getting through most of the latest fare Hollywood 's been feeding us. As I'm getting older, the meter measuring my preference of drama to action is rising. I'd say it currently sits at 5 to 1. The explosions and bullet fire are becoming too much and the techno-laden soundtracks too loud.

During the past couple weeks I found some time to get some movies in. Along with visiting our local Redbox, Sue has been diligent about recording some movies on the DVR before our grace period for Starz, Showtime and HBO runs out. I will be renewing HBO for the long haul because their original shows are just too damn good. TrueBlood being one of them and that starts season two tomorrow night.

Anyways, here's a short list of recently seen films:

Slumdog Millionaire - I realize I am possibly the last person on the planet to have seen it. A heartbreakingly triumphant story where the boy wins the money and gets the impossibly gorgeous girl. While the movie is obviously much more than that, flashbacks tied all the loose ends together perfectly explaining the lead's life and knowledge. From the time his mom was killed when he was very young and all the muck he and his brother had to go through I found myself glued. I even watched the dance at the subway station during the end credits. I need more movies like this one, plus, I don't know why, but I dig subtitles.

Freedom Writers - I am usually wary of Hilary Swank movies (exception: Million Dollar Baby) but Sue asked me to watch it with her after the kids went to bed. I can't say I thoroughly enjoyed this movie but it definitely did open my eyes to the plight of minorities and gang violence and I must give it a favorable review. Hilary plays a teacher who learns that most of the kids in her class don't expect to live to graduation because of gang wars and the color of their skin. The movie depicts an LA in the early nighties where the Mexicans, Blacks and Chinese shoot each other on sight for respect and to protect their own. Hilary asks them to write in a diary and somehow ties their plight with Hitler's campaign against the Jews. I suppose the movie was a history lesson for me but I was disappointed in the end when everyone got along, but I guess this is the only way this movie could've ended.

Twilight - I couldn't finish this movie. Possibly the worst movie of all time. I have to report that I've read the book and this movie takes the wishy-washiness of Bella and the vampire Edward's teen love and angst ten times further than the book did. As penance for choking down 75% of this crap movie, I punched myself in the face 75 times. I will also mail cat shit to the studio heads of this production with explicit directions to smear it in their own faces and eat it.

Hotel For Dogs - Eric loved it. Not me. Note to Don Cheadle: Don't you ever do a movie like this again. Ever. How could you agree to do a movie after reading a script that says you will be reading the names of dogs who then appear and sit and bark at the end!? And then adopt the kids? Garbage. I want my money back. So I can buy it for Eric.

Milk - I had a semi-hard time with all the openly graphic man-love going on but found this movie satisfying errr, uh good. True story.

Harold and Kumar 2 Escape From Guantanamo Bay - The guys smoke weed with President Bush. I don't know why but I liked this movie.

Movies on the queue:

The Visitor - Don't know the long and short of it but Sue says I need to see it.

Let The Right One In - Movie about a young boy who befriends a young girl. And she's a vampire. Subtitled.

If anyone has anything to add to my reviews or recommendations I can pick up at Redbox and watch this month, I'd appreciate it greatly.

13 comments:

Nat said...

I didn't watch Slumdog Millionaire yet, so you're not the last person on the planet to have seen it.
I haven't seen any of the other movies, though :)

I tend to watch a lot of movies after the hype has gone, mostly on dvds, as we have few days out without the kids, and it's usually for a birthday party or a work party.

Jeremy O said...

I tend not to see many new movies either..... partly because I am in bed by 10 every night and partly because Tara and I can't agree on what to watch. However, I recently had the opportunity to travel to Malaysia (21 hours of fly time each way) and got caught up on some new flicks. Here is my brief review.

Gran Torino - Clint did it. Enough said.

Transporter 3 - Unrealistic race scenes that sent me to the Audi dealer.

Yes Man - No thank you.

Seven Pounds - Proof that a "black" market for organs does exist.

Paul Blart Mall Cop - Just watch the trailer. All three funny scenes are in it.

Raging Bull - Not a new flick, but certainly a classic.

Cool blog. I will certainly check back more frequently.

Jeremy O said...

Oh yeah............ Tara made me watch Twilight at gun point (code for depriving me of the one form of exercise I still get). I like to describe it as Matrix meets Harry Potter. Yuck.

Nat said...

Oh, Seven Pounds - Loved it! cried my eyes out, what a movie!!

Transporter movies are a hit in our house, everythign with Jason Statham is.
Gran Torino - watched that one as well, it's actually quite good, certainly not your usual Hollywood movie.

Jph76r said...

Nat, I am surprised to know you haven't seen Slumdog. Hope I didn't ruin it for you.

The only time I get to the movies anymore is to catch a Pixar film with Eric. So Sue and I are DVD people too.

Jeremy, thanks for the solid recommendations that were off my radar.

Hopefully you picked up an Audi with the cool, sinister looking headlamps.

Mark H said...

Slumdog was okay but I didnt think it lived up to the hype. Towards the end I couldnt wait for it to end. If I am dosing off and it doesnt hold my attention than that is not good. The chick was pretty hot though I would bang her if I was not married.

Step Brothers- pretty entertaining. Will F has jumped the shark to me, but he was pretty solid in this one. There were more than a few "MOM! Meatloaf!!!" moments in this one.

Harold and Kumar- I liked the first one and I liked the new one too. I dont know why. You know what you are getting going in- goofy, unrealistic humor that is usually off the wall. I frequently enjoy a good "Cockmeat Sandwich" now.

Indiana Jones- I want to mail Spielberg cat shit. Dont watch it. Dont ever watch it.

Role Models- I am a fan of Rudd and Seann William Scott and this one held its own. I would put it on a similar level as 40 yr old virgin. Funny at times, then ends in an emotional twist that makes me want to mail cat shit to the writer/director.

Milk- your review was right on. Sean Penn is the man.

Highlandgal said...

Taken is supposed to be really good. It's next on my Netflix list.

Jph76r said...

I enjoyed Taken. There's something about a jilted father with a very particular skill set. Makes me wonder if the stuff in that movie really goes on.

Anonymous said...

Oh Oh Do you want beautiful Bollywood movies?

Watch Dev D.. Its a new one that i have yet to watch but heard really good things.

Another one set in the Mughlai era is Jodha Akhbar.. with Hritik Roshan and Aishwarya Rai..Heartbreaking.

I just read Into The Wild and want to the watch Sean Penn movie.

Jph76r said...

I liked Into The Wild.

Maybe he couldn't handle society. Or was he just afraid to grow up?

Jeremy said...

Two more for you to consider....

The Wrestler - People like to slam Mickey, but for some reason I thought he was good............. OK the truth is that Marisa Tomei looks phenomenal.

Notorious - If you spent greater than 200 hours crusing Main Street in Kutztown in a) a Tempo, b) a Camaro, c) a Horizon or d) an Audit 5 G's then you can't help but bob your head.

Anonymous said...

Up was really good, take Eric.

Jph76r said...

I went to see Up during it's first week of release. I was surprised at my emotions during the first five minutes and then again towards the end. Solid film. Something for everyone. The dog-squirrel thing pissed me off after awhile.

Jeremy, I will check out The Wrestler. And I know what you mean about Tomei. There's a movie called Before The Devil Knows Your Dead where she gets tagged by Philip Seymour Hoffman. At 40+, she's kinda niiiice.