Tuesday, March 15, 2011

my boy of summer

Eric had his first baseball practice today. He played tee ball last year and did well. This year, it's the dreaded machine pitch league. He practiced fielding and did some running around. I wonder if Mike Schmidt did these things when he was six years old. Did his coaches look at him and proclaim to themselves or aloud that this kid is special? Was he in another boy's shadow early on then only later learn to wrist-flick 97 mph fastballs 500 feet? We all know how that story ended. With a plaque in Cooperstown.

Whether or not Eric's coaches see my boy's talent, I surely do. So much so that I'm planning a road trip in 35 or so years to an induction ceremony in upstate New York.

I hope you will join me.

1 comment:

Sista El said...

I'm there !!!!!!