Tuesday, November 24, 2009

my colombian drug problem

I haven't been sleeping well. I am usually diligently asleep at 10pm but wide awake at a too soon 3am. I am not understanding this but I may have an idea. Is it because of my new found affinity for one morning cup of coffee? Maybe if it was the coffee, I'd have trouble getting to sleep. Good gosh, there are some people at work who drink coffee all day. I know it's not stress because I have seemed to adapt to the times and cope just like everyone else in the world. Mostly.

Mind you, some days I'll pound one or two Diet Cokes as a supplement to get me through the day but I've never had this problem. Too much caffeine I suppose. In any case, coffee is good, great and wonderful. It has taken me 40 years to discover the power of a morning cup of me (Joe) and I think I'm addicted.

I think I have my wife to thank for my addiction. It all started when she brought home our new single cup Keurig brewer. We had an old brewer that produced 10 cups in a pot but I never could master the science of a correctly measured scoop. This thing is much easier because all you do is throw in a prepackaged, correctly measured, take the guess work out of it K-CUP, hit a button and 30 seconds later you're drinking coffee. Done.

I can't believe I haven't discovered the magical benefits of a morning cup sooner. I think clearer and acquire much needed energy. Unlike some people, I don't crash. For now though, one cup is the limit. I'm sure if I increase my daily intake to two or more I won't sleep at all and that will lead to newer addictions like self-prescribing strong doses of sleeping pills. Then, much like Elvis Presley at the end of his life, I'd be in a vicious cycle of needing drugs to wake up and to fall asleep. And, believe me, the only way I want to mimic Elvis is the whole women screaming and fainting in my very presence thing. Wait, that happens already.

So, next time I sleep over at your house I'll have mine with some half & half and two packets of Splenda. It's the perfect way to start a day. I just wish I'd sleep longer.

No comments: