Thursday, October 7, 2010

perfect games

Sports has always had a way to inspire me. I love the emotion world-class athletes show when something extra-ordinary happens during competition. The emotion these gifted athletes exude reminds me that these guys are human and maybe even reminds them of the innocent days of their own childhood. Lofty contracts and endorsement deal be damned.

I want to share some moments that I've witnessed that have moved me. I will call them my top 3 and one happened last night. I am not going to tell you why they moved me... I just want you to know that they did. If you read between the lines you may understand...

Ok, my top 3 in no particular order... (I am sure clips are available on youtube for all three instances.)

Vinny Testaverde... wins the Heisman Trophy. He is at the podium talking and thanking people and the camera switches to his father in the first row. He is crying like a baby.

Pete Rose... was on every major network for every at-bat when he was trying to get the hit that broke Ty Cobb's hit record. When he finally did it, he stood on first base while the crowd gave him an eight minute standing ovation. When his son came out to first base to give him a hug he put his hands over his eyes and lost it.

Roy Halladay... had just pitched a no-hitter in his first post-season game and his catcher Carlos Ruiz rushed him and latched on with one of the most meanigful, real hugs I've ever witnessed.

No comments: